BDHS Welcomes New Teachers with Open Arms

New teachers featured in photo include: Meghan Ragghanti, Darrin Sheffer, Michael Kruse, Gina Butler, and Deborah Fleming.

Krista Shellenberger

Zia Sampson, Managing Editor and Business Manager

The 2018-2019 school year greeted five new teachers, one in nearly every department. They all have history and experience in educating, and to many BDHS has become their new home.

Mrs. Gina Butler, the new physical education teacher, has been teaching in Prince William County since 1997. She attended the University of North Carolina Wilmington, originally wanting to be a marine biologist. She was inspired to become a teacher after watching her mother, who taught kindergarten for 34 years. “I wanted to help kids be better,” Butler said. Because of her love of athletics, she decided to pursue physical education. Since she has had the unique experience of also teaching at TNS, she has gotten to teach students that she taught years ago, which has really made her first impression of BDHS a good one.

The English department has welcomed Ms. Deborah Fleming, who has been teaching for 14 years. She started working in technology but changed careers because she was unsatisfied. “I wanted to make a difference,” commented Fleming. “Technology was build and replace. Teaching has a lasting impact.” She got her teaching license from Western Governors University and received her master’s degree in English from Morehead State University. For Fleming, the friendly people of BDHS have really made a positive impact on her.

Mr. Darrin Sheffer started teaching earth science and coaching football this year. He is in his fourth year of teaching; he previously taught at Gar-Field High School. He studied environmental science at Bridgewater College, got his master’s degree in biology from Chatham University, and earned his teacher’s license through George Mason University. He had initially intended to be a college professor but opted for high school. “I’d rather have the relationship with kids and coach football,” remarked Sheffer. Again, community has been the most notable part of his experience with BDHS. “I’ve already had parents introduce themselves and offer to help. Teachers say hi. It’s nice to know people outside of the science department.”

Mr. Michael Kruse, a new Spanish teacher, has taught for 20 years now. He received his undergraduate degree from Northwestern University and received his graduate degree from Millersville University. He decided to really chase education after volunteering with a group of kindergartners. “They were watching chicks hatch. I remember seeing how much they enjoyed it,” said Kruse. He started by teaching elementary-schoolers. BDHS has felt a lot like coming home for him; he attended a school in a very rural area. It was actually referred to as ‘Manure High,’ so ‘Cow Pie High’ was a very familiar environment.

The Career and Technology Education (CTE) classes have also welcomed a new teacher, Ms. Loretta Bryant-Kline, who is working on involving her classes more with the school. This is her 34th year teaching. She has stayed in the field for so long because of many things-her love for public speaking, teaching others how to love what they create, and her strong passion for teaching family dynamics. She received her Bachelors’ degree from James Madison University, and has a Masters from Graceland University. Already, she loves the drive of the students of BDHS, watching them express their creativity in new and beneficial ways.

For a lot of students, the last new teacher, Ms. Meghan Ragghianti, may come as a surprise. This is because while this is Ragghianti’s first year staffed at BDHS, she has spent the past two years working as a long-term substitute teacher. She attended James Madison University and has taught full-time for three years. She began teaching in hopes to inspire an “ah-hah” moment with her students. “I like math and helping others make it click,” quipped Ragghianti. Like those previously mentioned, BDHS has given her a community that is hard to find at other schools in regards to both staff and students.