The Roar

Serving Up Gratitude To Our Cafeteria Staff

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cafeteria staff: Lori Newsom, Jennie Chen, Elsie Wilfong, Anne Mullins, Jill Lomax, Rina Dy-Khim, Krystyna Daszekilewicz.

Aiden McAvoy

Aiden McAvoy

Aiden McAvoy

The Roar Staff is recognizing our cafeteria staff in appreciation for all their hard work, daily inviting smiles, and thoughtful care of students during breakfast and lunch times.   Rarely do we get to hear the perceptions and voices from the fine staff that orchestrate this lunch-time ritual.  So, The Roar staff put on their aprons and headed to the cafeteria to see what keeps the loyal cafeteria staff going strong each day.

Cafeteria staff described preparing the food on-time, as the most stressful part of their day.  After all, they prepare over 400 meals each day in very condensed time-frame.  Not only this, but they manage to keep our cafeteria safe, clean, and inviting.  This astounding feat is accomplished in a period of a few hours. 

A girl was choking on a pineapple chunk, and I had to give her the Heimlich.  She coughed it up, and after that she was alright, just in shock”

— Ms. Lomax

What do the majority of cafeteria staff like to make?  The good ol’ Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich.  A hallmark favorite of cafeteria staff that has been nurturing students for 90 years and still going.

Saving lives?  Oh yes, they do that too!  “A girl was choking on a pineapple chunk, and I had to give her the Heimlich.  She coughed it up, and after that she was alright, just in shock,” explained Ms. Lomax.

When asked if they had ever encountered ‘trouble’ with students the cafeteria staff mentioned one occasion where they had to bust someone for taking a chocolate milk.  Ms. Mullins stated that she “had to take him out of the lunch line to get the milk.”  Fortunately, incidences like that rarely occur, according to the cafeteria staff.  Overall, they agreed that students are polite, courteous, and friendly.

All in all, cafeteria staff work hard each day to ensure they are ready for ravenous students when the lunch bell rings.  They genuinely enjoy their jobs which shows each day in their quality performance.  If you would like to show your appreciation, leave a shout-out to the cafeteria staff in the comment section below.