The Roar

Skincare Highlights

Back to Article
Back to Article

Skincare Highlights

Skincare products that will help you get through your day.

Abby/ Ashley

Abby/ Ashley

Abby/ Ashley

Ellie Crockett, Abby Muddiman, and Ashley Mcgee

The most important element of skincare is to be hygienic and establish a consistent routine. An added benefit of a skincare routine is fresh and glowing skin, along with better overall health.

The Roar’s favorite skincare routine starts with Garnier micellar water. This hydrating water dissolves oils, makeup, dirt, and leaves the skin looking dewy.  To use, simply pour the water on a cotton pad and swipe all over the face. This gentle cleansing water is safe for use around the eyes and will not irritate skin.

The second step in a skincare routine is using a cleanser. Cleansers are formulated to rid skin of impurities and “wash away the day.” One should choose cleanser wisely. While choosing, pay attention to what skin type the cleanser is formulated for. The skin type you have is important because if you have sensitive skin and get a product for non sensitive skin it will ruin your natural skin oils and could potentially damage your skin. Our favorite cleanser is designed for all skin types. The Kiehl’s Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleanser is derived from natural products. This foaming cleanser contains a gentle exfoliant. Exfoliants are made to scrub away dead skin, leaving the skin soft to the touch.

To cleanse, squeeze a quarter sized amount of product onto the fingertips and apply to the face, avoiding the eyes. Rub it in gently with tight circular motions. Rinse away the foam with warm water.

Toner is the part in a skincare routine that often gets overlooked. A toner is made for tightening and brightening the skin. It gets applied after washing the face with a cleanser. Apply an amount right for the face with a cotton pad and let the toner soak into the skin. The Thayer’s Witch Hazel toner is the best on the market. This toner is gentle, even with sensitive skin.  Apply it all over the face with a cotton pad.

Next, an eye cream helps to moisturize the under-eye area. Eye cream is an optional step, but the Roar recommends its use to individuals over 18. Creams fortify the skin against wrinkles and other effects of age or sleep deprivation. It Cosmetics Under-Eye Confidence brightens the under-eye area, leaving you looking awake and ready for the day. To use, apply a small amount to brow bone, eyelid, and under eye. It is very important that the user is careful. To prevent harsh pressure, tap the product into the skin with the ring finger. Harsh pressure in the under-eye region can cause the early onset of wrinkles.

Another optional product is face oil, which is especially good for dry skin types. The Josie Maran Face Oil is one hundred percent pure argan oil and leaves a dewy glow behind. Drop the product directly onto skin and press the oil into the face.

A moisturizer needs to be applied every night no matter what skin type you have or what your daily life is like. A moisturizer leaves long lasting hydration, protecting against the elements and helping you look happy and healthy.

The Aveeno Sunscreen Moisturizer protects and hydrates skin, and when combined with the Aveeno night cream it makes for an amazing moisture-filled day. These are to be applied like any other moisturizer – a small, dime-sized dollop of cream to be evenly applied over the whole face.

Facial sprays are used to give the face a wake-up call for a brighter appearance. A facial spray can be used in the morning, during the day, and at night before bed.

The Mario Badescu Rose Water Facial Spray is a must have for the morning. Applying the lavender scented version is calming, and perfect right before crawling into bed.

The last step is lip care. The lips are the thinnest and most sensitive layer of skin on the human body. So, a great deal of care must be given to their maintenance. The Burts Bees chapstick is made from natural beeswax and locks in moisture for a long-lasting effect. This cruelty free chapstick is perfect for on-the-go and comes in a large array of different flavors.