The Roar

In Honor of President George H. W. Bush 

Back to Article
Back to Article

In Honor of President George H. W. Bush 

President George Bush's funeral

President George Bush's funeral

https://www.ksat.com/news/politics/former-presidents-world-leaders-to-attend-bushs-state-funeral

President George Bush's funeral

President George Bush's funeral

Amanda Hart 

Born on June 12th, 1924 in the town of Milton, Massachusetts,  George H. W. Bush  was the 41st president of the United States of America from 1989 to 1993.  

Bush served as an enlisted naval aviator in WWII until his honorable discharge in 1945, a short month after the war’s end. After his marriage to Barbara Pierce Bush in 1945 and graduation from Yale University 1948, he became a thriving business leader in the oil industry; as a result, he started his early political career a millionaire. It began when Bush was voted the Republican Party chairman for Texas in 1963. 

Three years later, he was elected to a seat of the U.S. House of Representatives for Texas and remained there until 1970. He became the Ambassador to the United Nations from 1971 to 1973. Bush also worked as Director of Central Intelligence (DCI) from January 30th, 1976, to January 20th, 1977.  

In 1980, Republican Party representative Ronald Reagan won the presidential campaign and had selected Bush to become his Vice President. Bush, known for his lack of criticism towards Reagan, concentrated on the public—on ceremonial events such as funerals—American support of foreign nations and military action during his time in office. 

During Reagan’s following term as President, also Bush’s second as Vice President, Bush continued to strive for what he did previously, creating policies with the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) and formulating U.S. warfare methods against escalating terrorism. 

During the 1988 presidential campaign, Bush—as the Republican Party candidate—ran against Micheal Dukakis, the Democratic Party candidate. His infamous quote, “Read my lips: no new taxes,” originated from his speech to the Republican National Convention in August of that year. 

He was inaugurated on January 20th, 1989. Bush worked consistently on domestic policies, such as education, and foreign policies with the USSR, Japan, and Israel. His administration put the Northern American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)—which focused on eliminating tariffs between Canada, Mexico, and the United States; an agreement that was enforced until late 2018. It is in the process of replacement by the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement. In efforts to inspire American citizens to perform volunteer services, he founded the Points of Light Foundation in 1990. 

Bush’s administration lasted until 1993; he ran for a second term in the 1992 presidential campaign but was unsuccessful. Bill Clinton, the Democratic representative, was inaugurated as the 42nd president of the United States. 

Bush supposedly retired upon leaving office, though he continued to serve as chairman for various positions, such as the National Constitution Center, and give public speeches. George H. W. Bush also was a strong supporter of his eldest son George W. Bush while he was the 43rd U.S. President. 

Goerge H. W. Bush was a vigorous nationalist throughout his life and in office, demonstrated by his statement, “This is America… a brilliant diversity spread like stars, like a thousand points of light in a broad and peaceful sky.” On November 30, 2018, he passed away. Bush was a brave soldier, a loving and father, a memorable president and a prime example for his country. 

From the entire United States of America, thank you President Bush, and rest in peace. 

Article written by guest writer, Amanda Hart.

1 Comment

One Response to “In Honor of President George H. W. Bush ”

1. Drew Ryder on December 18th, 2018 12:32 pm

He was such an inspirational man and a true gentleman.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• In Honor of President George H. W. Bush 

Features

How Teachers Affect a Student’s Interest in a Subject

Features

Global Warming: The Planet Needs Help

Features

Career and Technical Education, the Underdogs of the School System

Features

Adulting- Everything You Need to Know

Features

Meet the Cast of Seussical: The Musical

Features

Cultural Traditions: The Chinese New Year

Features

How To Have The Perfect Valentine’s Day

Features

PWCS Lends a Helping Hand During the Government Shutdown

Features

Being a First-Generation American

Features

It’s Not Cool to Juul in School

The Student News Site of Brentsville High School
In Honor of President George H. W. Bush