Tiger Singers Christmas Concert

All+choirs+singing+%E2%80%9CEcce+Novum%E2%80%9D+at+their+Winter+Concert.+

Mr. Hoang

All choirs singing “Ecce Novum” at their Winter Concert.

Abbigail Muddiman, Literary Editor

On Tuesdsay, December 18th the Brentsville Tiger Singers made a melody of Christmas. The choral department put on their annual Christmas concert two days before winter break. The joy was in the air through the voices that were being heard.

The Brentsville choir department is made up of five ensembles: Varsity Choir, Concert Choir, Men’s Choir, Treble Choir, and Vocal ensemble.
The winter concert included classic songs like “Gloria” and “Silent Night” but also some festive songs from different cultures like “Ecce Novum” and “El Cant dels Ocells”. Other songs that were  performed, included a number of traditional carols and Spanish carols, “Somewhere in My Memory” from the movie Home Alone, and Jazz Standards “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” and “Mistletoe and Holly”, Kailey Pulos-Hoang, choir director, explained.

The overall musicality of the department made the concert all the more “elegant” as one audience member concluded. The audience was pumped-up and excited for this concert to see all the holiday fun songs.

“I’d like to see my students hone the love they have for music.”

— Kailey Pulos-Hoang

The concert was incredibly interesting and inviting with holiday songs, during transitions of other groups in choir going up on stage.

Pulos-Hoang  emphasized, “All students in the choral department participated in this concert. It was one of many that we had this season featuring our talented Tiger Singers!”
Other performances included “Treble, Vocal, and Friends” Concert at the Brentsville Historic Courthouse Grounds, the Handel’s Messiah Sing-a-Long with Osbourn Park HS and Patriot HS at the Hylton Performing Arts Center, caroling at Santa’s Workshop, and singing a combined number at the Band & Orchestra Concert on the 13th”.

This winter concert had a small group of orchestra players and “Mrs. Debbie Trowbridge accompanied us on violin for two pieces during the concert”, commented Pulos-Hoang.

For each concert, there are always soloists for different choir groups. “Soloists at the concert were Anna Monfort and Abrianna Avant,” both freshmen, “who sang solos in “Winter Song,” made famous by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson.”   And, Senior Emmie Golkosky was the soloist in “El Cant dels Ocels,” a Catalan carol.

All in all, the winter choir concert was a huge success, and the choir will be prepping for the assessment concert in the spring and then getting ready for cabaret.
Kailey Pulos Hoang’s end-of-year goals for the choir department to see her students “hone the love they have music into leadership qualities that benefit not just themselves, but the department.”