How To Handle Anxiety And Panic Disorders

Back to Article
Back to Article

www.health.harvard.edu

www.health.harvard.edu

www.health.harvard.edu

Abby Muddiman, Stephanie Lazo, and Grace Dudas

Anxiety and panic disorders are unfortunately on the rise in high school students. BDHS counselors are prepared to help students, but there are also measures you can take to help manage and even prevent these issues. 

Anxiety is extreme worry or fear that is strong enough to interfere with daily life, if not taken seriously. The symptoms of anxiety are fast heart rate, rapid breathing, and lethargy.  

Panic is sudden uncontrollable fear that disables the ability to think. Symptoms of panic are fear of loss of control or death, sense of danger, chills, hot flashes, and shaking. 

There are different types of anxiety disorders: social anxiety, generalized anxiety, post-traumatic stress, and panic anxiety. 

“Anxiety effects 25% of teenagers. 80% of kids with a diagnosed disorder do not get help, 30% of these teens are teen girls,” according to the American Psychology Association. 

Anxiety can be treated by psychiatrists, therapists, and counselors. Psychiatrists can prescribe medications while therapists can provide their support, improve mental health, and promote relaxation.  

Therapists help patients with anxiety and panic by teaching them breathing exercises, writing negative or harmful thoughts down when they come up, and thinking about the positives in a negative situation.  

People who suffer with panic and anxiety can get even more anxious because they are dehydrated and the same is also true if they aren’t getting proper nutrition.    

When people get panicked throughout the day, most therapists advise having cognitive behavior (CB) strategies in place to cope with their anxiety.  

BDHS counselors are prepared to help with anxiety and panic throughout the day and even after school when it is needed.  “The teens who come in with anxiety are often not diagnosed with anxiety”, said Mrs. Samar, counselor.   She assures students that they can come in and talk to a counselor anytime they need to, in order to work through the anxiety and learn how to cope.

The counselors advocate for students to come in and make and appointment.  Our counselors are dedicated to help all students who struggle with anxiety or panic. Making an appointment is as simple as going to the counseling office and filling out a short form.

Some common ways to deal with anxiety and panic are belly breathing and finding ways to get energy out. Anxiety affects work performance, so it is important to find ways to relieve stress. Regular exercise and activity can be a huge help in this manner.

Anxiety effects 25% of teenagers. 80% of kids with a diagnosed disorder do not get help, 30% of these teens are teen girls. ”

— American Psychology Association

Many people with anxiety can be approached more comfortably by family and friends than complete strangers, because they know the person better. Even so, people who wish to aid someone with anxiety can do so without knowing the person very well by understanding that anxiety disorders impact behavior, and giving them space in the event of an attack. “Normalizing anxiety and making the issue more realistic can make the situation easier,” advised Mrs. Samar.

A student at BDHS who suffers with anxiety stated that “exams or anything that can impact my work triggers my anxiety.”  

Anxiety and panic can be tough to get through but can be made easier through help of people that are trustworthy.