Mr. Bain’s New Groove

Mr. Bains new classroom setting.

Patrick Broemmel

Mr. Bain’s new classroom setting.

Patrick Broemmel, Opinions Editor

Mr. Bain, the world language director, has developed a new teaching method from previous years. The regular class room setting with tables, endless notes, and hiding from work, has been replaced by a more open and involved environment. 

“I’m finding that the pro is that students who typically struggle in a World Language class can understand, participate and use the language better than before.”  

— Mr. Bain

The new style is called open class room, it goes back to the environment of one room school houses that had all the students together. This enables students to discuss topics openly and allows everyone to actively participate. 

The class learning style changed because Mr. Bain wanted to create an environment where students could learn the language in a way that would be more prevalent to them. Instead of making the students learn a language by memorizing rules and vocabulary, they would acquire it and understand it through constant use and practice. 

When asked what the pros of the new style were, Mr. Bain says, “I’m finding that the pro is that students who typically struggle in a World Language class can understand, participate and use the language better than before.”  

In the beginning of the year there were students that did not like the change; some preferring the old fashion way of note taking. However, now that these students are now actively engaged in conversations, Mr. Bain thinks that they have adapted to the new style. 

The new system is not likely to change as Mr. Bain has received a lot of positive feedback from parents and students. He will be teaching the new way in the coming years seeing that it is a more effective way to teach a language.