Cheering for the Champs: BDHS Cheerleaders Win States

@BrentsvilleSpo1

The team smiles with their 1st Place medals.

Grace Gearhart, Sports Editor

As of Nov. 9, the state of Virginia recognizes the Brentsville District cheer team as champions of the 3A division. 

Gathering at the VCU Siegal Center, schools statewide from all divisions between 3A and 6A competed. The team has gone to states numerous years in a row, but the last championship win was 6 years ago, in 2013.  

“We’ve been preparing ever since states in 2018, when we got runner up by one point,” remarked Megan Hutcherson, a junior Varsity cheerleader. “Since that day, everyone has worked so hard to bring the best to the 2019 season. We practiced everyday through illnesses and pain and went to invitationals for feedback to improve more on our routine.” 

With every team comes challenges, and the girls faced a few coming up onto states. “Girls with injuries, the stomach flu the day of districts, and food poisoning the day of states were all challenges, but we were taught to push through even if it meant keeping a trash can on the side of the mat,” reported Hutcherson. 

Another junior Varsity cheerleader, Abby Townsend, has had this dream of winning states since joining the team. “Honestly, I was in shock… I knew girls on the team that won in 2013 and I couldn’t believe we had finally accomplished our goal,” reflected Townsend. Hutcherson and Townsend both have gone to states every single year since being on the team, but they had yet to win a championship. 

The moment the girls heard “Brentsville District High School” being announced as the winning school, various emotions flooded through them. 

“I made my teammate pinch me…which hurt,” laughed Hutcherson.

“I then realized we actually won, and it was easily the best and rewarding feeling in the world to hear our school name be called for first place,

— Megan Hutcherson

The celebrating still continues today, as the girls have been waiting for this moment since their start of BDHS cheerleading. 

“Many of us have gone out to dinner with friends, family, and more. We are still continuing to celebrate,” Townsend commented. 

After having their name announced, Hutcherson added, “Our team jumped up and we all hugged each other in relief that our hard work had finally paid off.”  

The BDHS Varsity cheer team never gave up on their dream of winning states. Through grueling preparation, illnesses, and previous losses, their faith in themselves was never lost. After the past 6 years of Brentsville history, the BDHS cheer team has finally accomplished their well-deserved championship win.