Regional Championships

Luca Orlando, Contributor

During the 2021 season, the Brentsville football team had a highly successful season. The team faced many challenges throughout the season, including a two-loss streak toward the end of the season.  However, the team was able to face this adversity and the rest of their challenges head-on throughout their entire season. This drive for success lead them to the regional finals hosted at Meridian High School. This was Brentsville’s first regional win! When one of the players was asked about their great accomplishments, they said “I was extremely excited to make school history.  

In some ways, the success we had throughout the season was due to the tight bond and brotherhood the players all shared with each other and with the coaches.” When asked about what their feelings were after the big win, they added “My emotions were all over the place, making school history at a last-second play will forever be one of the best moments of my life and I was just so happy to make history with my teammates.” It is a lot easier to win games when players genuinely enjoy each other’s company. When asked about how Brentsviille players played as a whole, a player stated, “I think we played a solid game, but we definitely lift some points on the field but overall, we played very well and got the win.” Also, whenever the team was down in a game you can come back stronger because instead of fighting and blaming each other you can pick up your teammates and encourage them that we could come back as a team. Also, we were able to tighten our bond by having team meals the day before a game and then hanging out with each other on weekends in our free time.  

Great coaching and decision making was a major part of the great season we had. When asked by one of the players if he felt that the team was prepared properly for the game, he responded, “The team was prepared very well thanks to our great coaching staff, and I feel like that helped give us an upper hand in the game.” When you have coaches that had as good of a game plan as they did it is easy to go as far as we did in the region. Our defense was almost unstoppable, it was all thanks to the great defense our defensive coordinator Coach Jackson ran. Our offensive coordinator (Coach Obie) had a successful game plan every week and good combinations. 

Lastly, trust between the players and the coaches was the biggest part of us as a team winning a regional championship. To be successful on any team you must trust your players’ abilities to make a play and your coaches’ ability to put you in the right position to make a play. Like when you are in a game and you need a big play, trust is when your coach can call a play for you and have faith that you will make the play needed or when your coach calls a blitz trusting that you will make the tackle. This is what our coaches did for us all season and it really showed in the success we had during the season. 

Interview with Jackson Schnetzler: 

What were your thoughts going into the regional championship game? 

“I was extremely excited to make school history and I felt confident.” 

Did you think the teams were properly prepared for the game?  

“The team was prepared very well thanks to our great coaching staff, and I feel like that helped give us an upper hand in the game.” 

How did you feel Brentsville matched up against the competition (Meridian)?  

“We matched up very well and felt like we were ready to take them on.” 

How did you think Brentsville played during the game? 

“We played a solid game, but we lifted some points on the field but overall, we played very well and got the win.” 

What were your emotions like after the big win?  

“My emotions were all over the place, making school history on a last-second play will forever be one of the best moments of my life and I was just so happy to make history with my teammates.” 

Brentsville Regional Championship Game (Edit) Microsoft Forms (office.com)  

﷟HYPERLINK “Brentsville%20Regional%20Championship%20Game%20(Edit)%20Microsoft%20Forms.html”