The Roar

A Student’s Stressful Journey to Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Barrett Butler in her second block class; stressing over math

Stephanie Lazo

Stephanie Lazo

Stephanie Lazo

Stephanie Lazo, Contributor

Every day, high school students submerge themselves in stress in an effort to be successful. They have pressure coming from parents, teachers, and coaches to achieve what may be considered not achievable. Academic success is essential for passing college entry exams and receiving scholarships. Fortunately, there are methods to aid the strain of everyday scholarly stress. 

High school students deal with their guardians and instructors expecting more than they are physically and mentally capable of doing. Students attempt to cope with the stress, but they often fail. 

“I need to be successful to get a job I want, to make money, and to be able to take care of myself and raise a family in the future. I want to make myself proud as well as my parents and sometimes I feel like it is too much to handle,” said freshman Sierra Tannheiser. 

Recent studies were done at Iowa State University (ISU) on cortisol levels in 9th-12th grade students. Cortisol is a steroid hormone that is produced by humans when they face stress or low-blood concentration.  In the study, students saliva was taken in order to measure cortisol levels.  The results showed that students’ cortisol levels rose drastically when they are under stress.  Findings revealed a strong correlation between the students cortisol levels in relationship to stress, which correlated to health issues.  

Another study from The American Institute of Stress (AIS) determined the level of awareness students have of their daily stressors.  Researchers surveyed high school students from across the country who were ages 14-17.  The survey results revealed that students are unaware of their daily stressors.  In addition to this, a popular opinion was that students did not feel that the faculty paid attention to the amount of stress they were placing on students in the daily overload of homework, tests, and other project assigned to students.   Overall, the outcome was that students have little to no knowledge on how to manage their stress.

Similarly, students at BDHS commented in much the same way.   One Junior, who wished to remain anonymous said ,”sometimes projects overlap and I have like 7 projects due all at the same time.”  Another student said, “I find myself staying up all night trying to complete what seems like a mountain of work.”   Another Senior, who wished to remain anonymous said, “It’s like the teachers who teach different subjects don’t talk to each other when they make due dates.”

Of students surveyed at BDHS, 97 out of 112 students revealed they didn’t know how to control their stress levels. Anonymous answers included, “I don’t manage my stress, because I have no clue how to,” and “I just cry for a couple of hours and procrastinate.”        

While some believe that too much is expected from students, others believe that stress is what is needed to keep achievement high.  In an interview with the New York Times, Ms. Leslie Ludgood, from George County School District claims, “We are pushing students to do their best; it might cause stress, but it is for their own good and it is certainly not meant to harm them.”

For high school students, there are proven methods that help relieve and manage stress. Therapists suggested managing one’s time better, talking to a trusted person to relieve stressful thoughts, and using stress as a tool to increase productivity.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A Student’s Stressful Journey to Success”

1. Ethan H. on October 19th, 2018 9:28 am

This is a marvelous writen article. This accurately portrays how students feel about stress. (Includinggg meeee) Fantastic piece of work. -Ethan

This is the most amazing article I’ve ever read -Becky

2. Mrs Trowbridge on November 15th, 2018 8:12 am

This has been on my radar since I began teaching at BDHS 5 years ago. Thank you for bringing this stress situation to our attention. There are lots of tools for living with stress, but my favorite tool is breathing techniques. We don’t need to buy anything, and we can use these tools at any time and in any situation. Try breathing slowly for just 3 breaths, while focusing on your breathing. You can add counting while you breathe. Basically what will happen in your system is that your body will think “all is well” and for a short time, your stress lessens. Check out breathing techniques online for more info. And know that we teachers have your back and always wish the best for you. Mrs. Trowbridge, Orchestra Teacher

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• A Student’s Stressful Journey to Success

Features

In Honor of President George H. W. Bush 

Features

How to Find the Perfect Gift

Features

Sleep: Best Chance at Survival

Features

The Man Who Broke American Politics

Features

The Bunny Man: Fake or Factual?

Features

Skincare Highlights

Features

Drama – Not Just for the Dramatic

Features

Serving Up Gratitude To Our Cafeteria Staff

Features

Tiger Singers Take Manhattan

Features

BDHS Students Tour Berlin, Krakow, Vienna, and Budapest

The Student News Site of Brentsville High School