The Roar

Extra, Extra! Giles Debuts at Pied Piper Theater

Back to Article
Back to Article

Giles with his girlfriend, senior Cosette Jenkins, after his final performance as Morris Delancey in Disney's Newsies at the Hylton Performing Arts Center.

Courtesy of Cosette Jenkins

Courtesy of Cosette Jenkins

Courtesy of Cosette Jenkins

Alannah Post, Editor-in-Chief

While most seniors spent their first semester worrying about college applications or trying to avoid the deadly senioritis, Andrew Giles was beating up crippled kids.

Of course, Giles was not actually causing anyone any physical harm – but his character Morris Delancey in the Pied Piper Theater’s production of Disney’s Newsies certainly was, chasing around other kids and preventing them from protesting unfair price increases. The show premiered earlier in January, but Giles still remembers plenty from the experience. “Acting in character onstage was so magical… everyone brought a great amount of life to their characters,” he said on performing, proclaiming that Newsies is a personal favorite of his and he signed up to audition as soon as he knew the theater was putting it on.

This production was his first with the company, and Giles had some difficulties in particular with the character he was cast in. ” Offstage, I try to be as kind and caring as possible,” he admitted, “so getting into character as someone so vicious and ruthless was no simple task.” But he also states that the experience immensely improved his skills as a performer, along with being around people who share the same love for theater and acting, some of whom had been involved with Pied Piper for many years and were able to give their own advice. He says their guidance and knowledge gave him a different insight into acting and performing.

He also noted the differences between community theater versus acting in BDHS’s own drama club. For one, their venues are far larger than the school’s auditorium, seeing as they performed at the Hylton Performing Arts Center. “I feel a much stronger sense of family and togetherness with our school’s drama program,” he said, but also admits that filling seats is much easier when working with a community theater because their reach extends much further. At the end of the day, however, both groups provide the opportunity of self-expression and, “they’re both just extremely magical experiences.”

As with everything, nothing is guaranteed to ever go according to plan. Just like how the school’s production of Beauty and the Beast last spring had the fire alarm mishap, Giles recounted a few incidents during their shows that make for good stories, including a crutch that went flying into the orchestra pit during a fight scene in the first show. Luckily, no instruments or musicians were harmed, but in the second showing of the night, an actor was unfortunately kicked in the face and had to receive first aid, after which he quickly returned to the stage. “I seriously applaud that guy’s dedication to the performance,” he remarked.

Giles is incredibly thankful to his friends in the theater club, including teachers Mr. Dan Fiore and Ms. Ashley Abraham, and to The Roar for allowing him to express himself regarding the show.

1 Comment

One Response to “Extra, Extra! Giles Debuts at Pied Piper Theater”

1. Rick Jenkins on February 27th, 2019 11:02 pm

That sure is some happy looking people in this picture…hope you guys are having the time of your life!!!

All the best Andrew…

Who is that young lady by your side? She sure is a pretty thing…

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Extra, Extra! Giles Debuts at Pied Piper Theater

News

From A Tiger To A Shark

News

Rumors of BDHS Closing

News

Shamrock Search!

News

A Winter to Remember

News

Victoria’s Transphobic Secret Revealed

News

Students Marvel at the Moon

News

MLK Oratorical Contest 2019

News

January’s “Super Blood Moon”

News

Tiger Singers Christmas Concert

News

Turf Wins STMA Field of the Year

The Student News Site of Brentsville High School