The Tragic Loss of Terrance Clarke

Jason Miller

Terrance Clarke playing for Kentucky

Ryan Gregory

Terrance Clarke was a 19-year-old freshman student-athlete attending Kentucky University this year. Clarke suffered an injury earlier this year at the start of the Kentucky Men’s basketball season. He was a four-star recruit coming out of high school and was planning on testing his luck in the upcoming NBA draft. Many teams picking in the lottery were high on him and would likely have taken a chance on the Freshman. Clarke was playing as a Small Forward in his time at Kentucky and showed flashes of a dynamic scorer who could push the floor. Sadly, we will not be able to see the player he would have turned out to be.

Clarke rarely touched the court this year and was unable to play due to an injury. Clarke suffered ankle injury early in the season and had not played since December 26. In the small playing time he had he averaged 9.6PPG, 2.6REB, 2.0AST, and shot 42.1% from the field. Even with those small averages he was still projected to go in the top 15 of the draft. Unfortunately, Clarke will not be able to live out his lifelong dream of playing in the NBA but is in the thoughts and prayers of everyone around the NBA.

Clarke and his teammate from Kentucky, B.J. Boston, were at a private basketball workout on April 22 in Los Angles. After the workout Clarke drove home followed by teammate B.J. Boston. On the way home Clarke was involved in an accident where he passed away on the way to the hospital. It was reported that his teammate B.J. Boston was not involved in the crash.

Clarke was traveling at high speed when he ran a red light and collided with a car turning. Clarke then bounced off the car he crashed with into the streetlight at the intersection. It was noted the driver Clarke hit was not injured.

The whole NBA and college basketball community were devastated by the loss of Clarke. Many NBA players shared their condolences to the Clarke family through Twitter.

NBA players paid their condolences to the Clarke family this weekend, including Cassius Stanley and Karl-Anthony Towns. Cassius Stanley stated, “Rest In Peace Terrence Clarke… absolutely devastating to say the least,” via Twitter. Former Kentucky Wildcat Karl-Anthony Towns also added, “Today is a rough day for our Kentucky Wildcat Family…RIP Terrance Clarke.”

The Boston Red Socks paid their tributes to Clarke by honoring him at their game on Friday in Boston. Clarke was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts.