Little Life Changing Decisions

Lifetouch

Senior Sammi Williams poses for her seasonal Cross-Country photo.

Rachel Bush, Editor

Not all that long ago, a little girl found a poster in her elementary school that would change her life.  

It was only a poorly printed flier advertising a softball little league—it was nothing special. She took it home to her parents and begged them to sign her up. They didn’t want to. They thought that 11 was too old to start a sport and that their shy little daughter would be too intimidated to stick with it. Little did they know that she would still be playing six years later at higher levels than they had never even dreamed she would. 

Not unlike that girl, Sophomore Regan Stachelski started playing her sport on a whim. Stachelski plays Varsity volleyball for BDHS. She says she started the summer before her freshman year to meet more people and make friends before school started. 

“Originally, when I started this sport, I wasn’t that invested and didn’t care for it very much,” Stachelski confessed. “When the school season ended, I joined a club team and that’s what really made me love the sport.” 

Stachelski’s story shows that everyone can improve, no matter the age they start. Everyone deserves a fair shot at trying-out for a competitive team. If she had never tried-out for the BDHS volleyball team, she would have lost so many things that are important to her in the present. Volleyball gave Stachelski a little more confidence, as well as a sport that she absolutely loves. 

Junior Xavier Torres played JV boys’ soccer for BDHS his freshman and sophomore years. Unlike Stachelski, Torres started soccer at a young age.  

Torres’ love for the sport began while he was playing it with his grandpa. Every family reunion they would play soccer for hours on end and never stop. His love only grew from there.  

“I don’t really have any other sport that I want to play,” said Torres. “Soccer is the only sport I want to [play]. No other sport calls to me like soccer does.” 

Sometimes sports are more than a hobby. For the Torres family, soccer is something that brings them altogether. For them, soccer is a way of life.  

Senior Sammi Williams runs cross-country for BDHS. Both of her siblings ran cross-country as well, and she thought it would help her get in shape for soccer. 

By joining cross-country, Williams gained a group of people who radiated postivity. Her team-mates encourage her to do well everywhere—not just in running. 

“I’ve had to give up a lot to run cross-country,” Williams admitted. “[I think] it’s worth it, though. Running is a great thing to spend your time doing.” 

Sports are more than just a competition. They teach lessons and shape personalities. They raise confidence and create unbreakable bonds between teammates.  

Choosing to play a sport might not seem like a big deal at first. Farther down the line, however, everyone will realize how much sports have really shaped their lives.