The Drive to Dive: Kayla Cooke

Cooke prepares to dive.

Grace Gearhart, Sports Editor

In Brentsville’s 90 years of existence, no diving team has ever been established. Up until this year, no BDHS student dove as a sport. For the first time in Brentsville’s history, we now have a diver to represent our school. 

Senior Kayla Cooke is the first diver to ever attend BDHS. Even though the school does not provide a team for Cooke to compete on, that did not stop her passion. “Because most facilities in the area don’t have diving boards, all of the Prince William County Schools practice together at Colgan high school”, Cooke commented. “We are all a team and we practice together, but we also compete with one another. It creates great healthy competition”. 

Cooke’s desire to dive has just been recently discovered. She started diving in October, and her passion for diving has grown since. “I’ve always loved watching Olympic diving”, replied Cooke. “One of my favorite pastimes during the summer is cliff jumping. My friends and I would always try flips and dives, so my mom said I should give diving a shot”. 

When Kayla started diving, she was unaware of the fact that no one else in BDHS dove. She thought more people felt the same love and desire for the sport as she did. “When I heard I was the only diver I was shocked and in disbelief”, Cooke revealed. “But I am proud to represent Brentsville and I hope that I would influence others to try diving in the future”. 

Along with competing on the Prince William County diving team, she practices with George Mason University. Her desire for diving will not stop after high school; she plans to continue into college. Her dream is to attend George Mason and advance into diving there. “I really hope I can continue diving there in the future”, declared Cooke. 

Even though the dream you strive for might have obstacles along the way, there is always a way around them. Kayla knew she had a passion for diving, so she did not let the fact that there was no BDHS team get in her way. Cooke is an inspiration to Brentsville and all of the students within it.