How COVID-19 has Effected Brentsville Athletics

Ryan Gregory

COVID-19 (Coronavirus) has affected nearly everyone around the world, weather it was school being cancelled, no sports, caching the virus, or a family member or friend catching the virus. We are all together, trying to effectively stop the spread of this virus and return to our normal lives.
Brentsville sports have been affect heavily last year and this year as well. Last year all Spring sports were cancelled, including soccer baseball, softball, golf, tennis, and track & field, leaving Seniors without their final season. However, this year it has been different, there are games but with masks.

Currently all winter sports are competing, without fans, however, Mr. Cameron, BDHS Director of Student Activates, noted that

The school has numerous mitigation strategies from the Virginia High School League and Prince William County Schools.

— Mr. Cameron

While there are no fans now, BDHS streams all their games online.

For the athletes they still have regulations in place to follow. Basketball must wear masks while competing, Wrestling can only remove their masks while competing, Swim must keep masks on while on the pool deck, and Track can remove their masks while competing or social distancing. However, many of the schools Brentsville play do not have mask requirements, which makes it more difficult for us as a school. We must be extra careful and take those extra steps to keep our school and students as safe as possible.

The school has implemented several cleaning strategies, used for equipment and surfaces. There are also different strategies implemented across the state if an outbreak were to occur and how bad the outbreak is.
It is not ideal for anyone now, at Brentsville, but as the spread of the virus slows down and we do our part as students, we ensure we will get back to a normal routine.